Thursday, December 08, 2005

Update my Gear

To achieve the goals I set earlier, I need to get a drum machine. After some web research, I picked up a Digitech RP50 at Guitar Center for $60. I also got a new box of 9 guage strings and picks for another $40. I financed this by selling off the Fender M80 for $130. It was sad, but I had no room for it besides the shed in my back yard. The guy who brought it already has a simiar Fender chorus amp and wanted to get a stero setup.

I also wanted to record the drum and rhythm sections so I can play over it. It's 2005 now, and I don't want to mess around with tape anymore. A portable Zoom PS-04 Palmtop Studio cost $200 new or $125 on craigs list. That's a great price and I'm still considering the used one. It'll replace my RP50. For now, I record on my PC, but I can't easily mix in a 2nd track without paying for more software. Since I'm trying to improve my guitar playing and not produce quality sound tracks, I'm leaning toward the Zoom unit to replace the RP50.

The setup I'm using now is plugging my guitar into the RP50. The RP50 plugs into my Soundblaster. Sounds comes out a set of quality PC speakers with a subwoofer. It's easy to record a drum track with a rhythm section. I can replay that recording to lay down a 2nd guitar part, but I can't record that 2nd guitar w/o new software or lots of work. I can also play a song on my iTunes while learning a song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home