Thursday, December 08, 2005

Early Progress

I'm progressing through the sight reading book, but am not nearly as far as I was years ago. I guess I'll have to get used to that for a while. I play along with the drum machine on most of the common timing songs, 4/4. I record the rhythm section first and then play the melody part over it. This trains me to be aware of the "band" besides just my own playing. I do this for half an hour or more every other night. I love having crappy drum beats instead of that damn metronome.

For the practice sessions in between, I been practicing Summer Song by Satriani. That's a really bad idea. I need to stop doing this and get started with the 12 bar blues. I'm falling in the trap I did years ago of learning to play something really cool, but not understand the song structure. Style wise, I don't get much out of it cause I'm not ready to incorporate something as complex as Satch into my style. I'm really going to concentrate on developing my own style this time around instead of being a monkey. I know the other way leads to quick results, but it ultimately cost me to lose interest in the instrument.

This time, it needs to be fun and not work. I'll be damn I'll sit for hours learning to sweep pick exotic scale progressions. I don't listen to that stuff anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home