Sunday, December 11, 2005

Coming along

It's 4PM and my kids are taking a nap. I don't dare play my guitar right now so I'm updating this blog instead.

I stop the sheet music reading practice. The book I used was full to really shitty songs that just drove me nuts. I'm able to run through the 12 bar blues with the E-A-B7, C-F-G7, and A-D-E7. I'm pretty comfortable with the pentatonic scale in 2 positions. This is far more theory than Muddy had when he started I'm sure, so I should be able to do something with this. I have no interest in pointlessly playing licks over these chords like the lessons suggest. Instead, I'll write a song. I'll dig out my bass guitar too and see what I can come up with.

I had a hard time to quit learning Satriana's summer song. I started to sound pretty good playing along with the 1st minutes of the song, but it's too aggressive of a song to learn this early. I went and got a CCR and Crash CD. They got some simple songs that sound really good. I'll get the chord progression from olga.net and see how far I can go with it. I'll try to stay away from the professional transcriptions for now. I need to train my ears.

I found a really cool open source(free) mixer program call Audacity. I'm able to easily record a drum/rhythm section, then practice licks over them. I also took an MP3 file(Summer Song) and slow it down. I'm going to import a song in WAV format and see if I can take out the guitar track. If not, I'll see if it's possible to filter out certain frequencies.

I thinking about taking a group lesson at a local guitar shop. A friend of mine took these classes back in high school and he really recommended it back then. I'm more interested in meeting other people who are starting out than the lessons themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home