Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Improvasation Lesson - Pentatonic Minor

I played a solo with 1 and then 2 notes. In my head, I actually played more notes, but this made it easy to concentrate just on the rhythm and dynamics.
Phil graduated me to the full scale.

I played a solo using the pentatonic minor over 12 scales blues A progression.
[Phil] I wasn't playing along with the progression. I played a C or E when the progression went to D. While it's in the scale, C and E are not good notes when the chord changes to a D. Usually, the chord tones(I-tonic, III-mediant, V-dominant) are good choices. Being the blues however, which mediant to use is slightly complex and anti-classicial. I should play the mediant that is not in the chord. This means to use a minor 3rd over a major chord or a major 3rd over a minor chord. Otherwise, it won't sound blue. If a 7th chord is being played (not sure about Maj7), then the minor 7th is OK, but not quite as stong a lead in as the chord tones. Again, this is only the lead in note for the new chord to help the listener relate the harmony with the progression. After the lead in note, all notes are fair game.
Another of Phil's tricks is to play a half tone(major 7) of the new chord right before the chord change. Then slide or hammer on to the tonic at the chord change. So play a maj 3rd before a IV or a diatone(arg 4th) before a V. Neither note is in the p-minor scale, but they add to the blues feel when used in passing.
A common used of the minor 3rd over a major progression is to bend or slide to a maj 3rd right away. The opposite isn't true, or at least Phil didn't think it sounded good when he demostrated it.
Phil also used a double stop with a submediant as a lead in, but I forgot it. Mabye a question for next week.
Phil mentioned a few things about pentatonic major, but the minor is easier to use, so I forgot what he said about the major. I'll get back to that at a later time.

Phil uses 3 pentatonic shapes as opposed to 5(CAGED). The E shaped is the main pattern. Then these's the G shaped above and D shaped*(Pentantonic major) below. To cover the rest of the fret board, he uses a modified E shaped starting on the 5th string. Since I'm learning this stuff, I might as well learn the CAGED system since there's so much practical stuff out there for it, especially beyond the pentatonic scales.

Practice plan this week
[Phil] Improv over 12 bars of A. (I figure this will last 10 minutes)
[Me] Improv over normal 12 bar progression and concentrated on hitting the tonic and dominant on chord changes. Maybe try the minor 3 or half tone slide.
[Scales] Play the E, G, and D positions and concentrate on the tonic, sub-dominant and dominant notes of each pattern. Uses there along with the 12 bar progression.
[Ear Training] The best way to commit this to long term meomory is to sing it. I'll learn the 4th and 5th this week and verify correctness with a tuner. I find that I can already transcribe some stuff without thinking about it, but this should help a lot.

*D shaped pentantonic major - The are different fingerings for this. When moving from the G to B string, one common option is to move the hand down 1 fret. This makes bends easier. Got this from the House of Blues - Blues Guitar lesson 1 DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home