Thursday, December 15, 2005

Grinded the Axe and Found New Attack

I notice buzzing on the low E and A strings around the 3 to 7th fret. Holding down the strings at the 1st and 22rd fret show that the neck didn't have enough curvature. The truss rod needed to be loosen, so the strings can pull the head in more. I didn't know where to get the tool, so I called up a local shop to order one for my guitar along with a new tremolo bar. Then a funny thing happened last night, I found a hidden compartment in my guitar case. I total forgot about it and it had the case keys, wrench for the truss rod, and my tremolo bar. A quarter turn counter-clockwise and the buzz went away. In fact, I could probably lower the action now, but I would rather spend the time practicing since my time so limited. My wife wouldn't stop nagging me until I went to sleep last night at 12:30, and I've just gotten done with bar chords practice and haven't even play a song yet.

The basic lessons at guitar.about.com show how to hold a pick. I remember now that was how I held it years ago. But then I read all those articles about how different players hold their pick and I settle into using my fingers tips to hold the pick. This was how some old blues guy held it cause it allow him more freedom to vary the angle of attack and create tone with his fingers. Well, it apparently sucks for rhythm cause it slips easy and is hard to strum consistently. I guess that's why my old picks all had holes drilled into them or had special grips, and my distortion was turned up.

My rhythm sound much better with this grip, but it'll take a while to get used to. I've decided to finish "I fought the law" instead of finding a slower song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home