Tuesday, February 07, 2006

2nd paid lesson

I'm pretty much driving the lessons right now. I learned "Black Moon Raising" last week minus the solo, which I'll do this week. I still have problems getting it at full 140bps, but Phil suggested that playing the exact strum pattern for the song is not neccessary unless you're working for Chuck Berry. Actually, learning this song is probably only 2 or 3 practice sessions, but I didn't get around to practicing as much since I wanted to fix the PRS last week. To keep Phil motivated, I paid him when the lesson started.

I made a list of question for Phil.

1. Switch between open to bar chords
- keeping elbow tuck in
- play open chord with thrumb opposit middle finger
- rotate hand clockwise
PHIL - This is correct.

2. How would you approach learning a song(general)?
PHIL - 1. write out different sections and how many times to play them
2. figure out the basic chord progression, then add strum pattern
Author's Note - I lay out the songs mental, but I need to create a cheat book for myself that I used to remember songs with. Sort of a customized fake book.

3. What's the approach to creating a solo for "Bad Moon"?
PHIL - It's delta blues style. Use parts of chords from main progression with basic blues fill. There's a m3(not in scale) to M3 slide between bars that's typical blues.

4. Rapid chord switching - I Fought the Law - G,F,Em
- my slow technique is to push bottom of hand out while thumb is pivot.
- using right elbow?
PHIL - Just use the fingers to press down is quickest. Bar the Em should be quicker, cause you don't move the wrist.

5. String bending technique - Texas Flood's 3 bend combo
PHIL - Lay index finger over the top strings to mute them. This allows you to rake the top strings going into the bend which Stevie does. Stevie may use the index and ringer finger, but that's not possible for most people on heavy guage strings.
Author's Note - I notice that placing the index finger over the strings help me bend with more precision too. Not sure why this is, but this was on my PRS with 9 guage. I'll try this technique on the 11 guage tonight.

6. Vibrato technique
PHIL - Pivot where hand contacts bottom of fret board. On classical and non-fretted strings instruments, you can slide up and down the string a bit. On classical guitar, you can also use pressure vibrato.

7. With classical hand position on D, it's hard for the pinky to reach Maj6.
PHIL - Fogerty plays the D with partial bar on 2nd fret(strings 1, 2, and 3). So the ring finger can easy reach the b note on 4th fret.
ME - Phil, you gota tell me these things when you see it.

8. I'm not keeping proper timing. How do I develope it?
PHIL - Just strum simple patterns with 1 chord or 2 chords with a metronome. The more you use a metronome, the less you need it.
Author's Note - I'm able to play "Bad Moon" with my eyes closed, and I feel like my timing is better since I can concentrate better.

9. My hands get tired when playing barred chords. For slower sections, I try different things like pushing out my wrist and pushing the guitar body in with my right elbow.
PHIL - My hands get tired too.
Author's Note - I just need to build more hand strength and play less bar chords.

Songs I plan to learn this week.
1. Solo for "Black Moon Raising" Delta Blues Style.

2. Beatles' version of Twist and Shout. I actually learn guitar 1's parts last night in like 15 minutes, but I need much more practice.

3. Skynyrd's "What's you Name"
I may swap this song with Hey Joe, since I can't sing this to my daughters. But I can sing Hey Joe for my wife.

4. Stevie's "Texas Flood" - I been putting off this song cause I wanted rhythm practice, but I'll learn a little bit more each week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home